"Our greatest fear should not be failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." -Francis Chan

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Looking into their Eyes

"Sometime in your life, hope that you might see one starved man and the look on his face when the bread finally arrives. Hope that you might have baked it or brought or even kneaded it yourself. For that look on his face, for your meeting his eyes across a piece of bread, you might be willing to lose a lot, or suffer a lot, or die a little, even. -Daniel Berrigan

This quote sums up why I encourage people to, especially youth, to go into another culture and see what the face of the needy looks like.
I am not against short term missions because I know how God can use them to change our perspectives. He can use them to make us more generous with our prayers, with our time, and with our money. (In reference to my 1st post, I do think we need to choose wisely what short term missions trips we go and how frequently we go.)

I recently became a volunteer for Gospel for Asia because I basically want to reach as many people in the suffering continent of Asia with the Gospel and to obey the Bible. Gospel for Asia is unlike any other organization that I have come across and God has opened my heart to a great passion for this organization because of what they are doing in Asia through the mighty power of God. IT is an incredibly needy part of the world: physically, socially, and spiritually. Truly beyond anything that I can begin to comprehend. I am reading "No Longer A Slumdog" by K.P. Yohannan and God is using it to pry open by selfish heart to this dark culture. 
I believe that the apathy of the church to care for the desolate, poor, orphans, and widows comes from not seeing "one starved man and the look on his face when the bread finally arrives." When you see the hungry, orphaned, widowed, sick, and hopeless it changes you. It has changed me and it continues to break me. The more I learn about these needs I am drawn in more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment