"Our greatest fear should not be failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." -Francis Chan

Friday, October 6, 2017

Perfect or Prophet

This past Wednesday I was working at the hospital (which everyone calls "the station"). I was assigned the women's infection ward and the men's wards which have a combined total of 14 beds. After discharges I had 4 patients most of the day. Now let me just add that this is really unusual especially with the recent unrest in Togo. Right before I arrived there were more violent riots and so the hospital had a flood of patients injured in the protests. At that time it was "all hands on deck" but now things have settled down for the time being and hopefully for good.
In the afternoon I made my way around to most of the wards just to see if anyone needed anything while saying "Ca va?". I made my way into the men's ward where the "Jesus Film" was playing in one of the Togolese languages. Everyone's eyes were fixed on the movie which was encouraging to see. Each ward has a TV and in the afternoons when people are resting they play the "Jesus Film" or some other christian film. They play them in the different languages that are spoken in the area. Going into the room I didn't really have any intentions but I soon found out that one of the patient's brothers spoke English. I pointed out on the screen who John the baptist was and that he was related to Jesus. He came before Jesus as a prophet (keep in mind I'm trying to choose words that he would understand). The brother translated everything that I said to his mom and anyone else who had gathered around. I explained that baptism in water is something that we do to show the world that we follow Jesus and that I was baptized. Then Jesus came onto the scene. I watched and tried to figure out what was happening in the movie and figured out that it was Jesus wondering in the wilderness and being tempted by Satan. So I told the guy and he translated. (Don't worry, I wasn't interrupting their featured film, they liked talking to me). I told them how Satan tried to get Jesus to do wrong but He didn't because He is perfect. We talked a little bit more about Jesus, His perfection, and how He did miracles while on earth....then I realized that the guy thought that I was saying that Jesus was a prophet because "perfect" and "prophet" ironically sound similar. I had to chuckle once I realized the miscommunication. I corrected myself and emphasized that Jesus is perfect and that is why He is God. Okay, yeah now we were on the same page because then they started to disagree with me. They corrected me saying that Jesus was a prophet. I said that this is the difference between Christianity and Islam. This is what I believe and it is different from what you believe. The boy proceeded to tell me that Jesus couldn't be God because Allah is in heaven. I said that through God came to earth as Jesus. Well that was absurd to them. Once again, I kindly pointed out that this is the difference between Christianity and Islam. It seemed to be clicking, especially with the guy. I also pointed out that Jesus said that He was God and that He was perfect... So either Jesus is perfect and He is God OR He is a bad person for saying such things....making the point that He can't just be a prophet because of what He claimed and the authority He spoke with. I could tell the boy was thinking but I couldn't tell if he understood the point. I pretty much just left things there at that point. It was a very non-confrontational exchange. Funny thing was, I didn't go into that room planning on sharing the Gospel but it was easy and comfortable to do so. In hindsight I can think of more that could have been said but in that moment I felt very at peace with what was being said. I pray a seed was planted. Because of the major cultural differences I know that I have to choose my words wisely when sharing the Bible with people because it could be misunderstood and even offensive which is obviously not my goal. I did not wake up this morning and think that I would share the Gospel with a Muslim but God is faithful. He is good. He is using me in ways that I will not even know until eternity. The Spirit moves in beautiful prompting.
(I would like to add that I am also confident that I didn't offend them because after sharing about Jesus's perfection and deity the mom still wanted me to marry the son that was translating and speaking English.)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Elizabeth!! For sure the Holy Spirit was speaking through you...the peace...and the acceptance:) Love the confirmation at the end...you'd still make a good wife:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joy to see/hear you honoring and glorifying God through your work Elizabeth! We love your passion and joy for being His servant and a servant to the least of His people. You are ready and willing to follow His lead in your everyday encounters no matter how strange or difficult...even finding humor in the least amusing situations. Keep your blog coming for we love reading your many and new "Godcidents". Our prayers go to you, your hospital staff and your patients.
    Love,
    Aunt G.& Uncle D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete