"Our greatest fear should not be failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." -Francis Chan

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Airplane, Car, and Bike

I have made my way to Mango, Togo (pronounced "Mongo")!
Everything with travel went smoothly and I met some very interesting people on the plane rides. After a long day of flying on Thursday I arrived Friday evening in the capital, Lome, where 3 missionaries from the Hospital of Hope greeted me.The third missionary who is a nurse, Laura (who is from Ireland), was on her way out of the country to visit her family for a week. Gary and Deb are from Michigan and they are such warm people. Gary, Deb, and I woke up and hit the road at 6 am Saturday morning with our driver Pariko.  I enjoyed getting to talk to them about the Hospital because they're involvement with it dates back to its very beginnings. They have taken trips to literally build the hospital and its facilities and they have been a part of sending supplies from the states. I loved getting to hear about their love for the Hospital and the people of Mango. Talking with them really made me excited to be a part of something that is so obviously bigger than myself. We had a 8-9 hour drive to Mango which is in the northern part of Togo. We drove through villages and over mountains with a lot of patches that had insane number of giant pot-holes! I have no idea how these vehicles function in this kind of terrain! We arrived in Mango mid-afternoon. Most of the missionaries that weren't working were at a pool party on the hospital grounds for a birthday of one of the missionary's sons. I got a quick tour of the grounds and then I was driven to the house where I am staying with a bunch of other single ladies. Most of the ladies are about my age and everyone is incredibly welcoming and kind! Here I learned that I do not have an option for air conditioning which I thought would be the case...but when on mission flexibility is the name of the game! Like the other women in the house, I will be taking lots of cold showers to stay cool when at home. I also learned that I will not have an individual interpreter. There are so many different dialects that it wouldn't even really make that much sense to have an interpreter. So I will have to grab a local nursing assistant whenever I need something translated. This just means that I will have to be creative in my communication! Tomorrow, Monday, I will start my orientation at the hospital. Today, Sunday, is a great day of rest for me. I slept about 8 or 9 hours last night and it was glorious! The electricity kicked off twice during the night which was basically like an alarm clock because my standing fan turns off too.
But with so much sleep I felt like a new woman this morning. This evening I will go onto the hospital grounds to join the other missionaries for some wiffle ball and then we will have a church service. We had pizza for lunch which is quite the treat. My main form of transportation while here will be bike so I should be in good shape when I return to the states!

I pray that I will continue to be able to sleep well, that orientation will go well tomorrow in the hospital, and that I will be able to retain French phrases to use while here.
Merci beaucoup.... for all of your prayers!

Everyone who comes to the hospital flies into Lome and then travels north to Mango.

Can you see me?...Just kidding, we were following this vehicle (but not for long because everyone passes each other like a continual game of "chicken").

Cars would have wood or luggage piled high like this. Not sure how these vehicles last any length of time.

My bedroom on the 2nd floor of the "Beyonce house" which is a joke just because all of the ladies there are single.

The bathroom that I share with Monan who is from Wyoming.


4 comments:

  1. Love and prayers to you, across the ocean, sister-friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear from you, Elizabeth; so glad you got safely to Togo. We admire your selfless attitude and trust in the Lord and his call for you. We'll keep you and your whole group in our daily prayers. Yours is a heart of a pure God's servant! Love Aunt Grazyna & Uncle Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you be filled to spill into the poor and weary.
    Aunt julie

    ReplyDelete