"Our greatest fear should not be failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter." -Francis Chan

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Retreat

My extended family and I were at the Ocean City for one last final vacation for the summer. My parents and I went for 3 days (1 full day) which is pretty much perfect for me since I tend to get tired of sand being everywhere.
This summer I found a sweet spot at the ocean. Its not novel, its just new for me personally. I started sitting by the water so that the water would keep me cool, but what I found was a true vacation and retreat. With the loud sound of the water and the perfect combination of sun, breeze, and cool water I was able to really dive into and focus on reading. I brought "Captive in Iran" to read while spending hours on the beach. I don't know about you, but the more I learn about the suffering, darkness, lost, and poverty in the world I question the way that I spend my time and money, including vacationing. But as I read the testimony of  Maryam and Marziyeh and their experience in an Iranian prison for being Christians, or as the law says there, for threatening the regime. It is a different world there. I read about their intense suffering, their battle against a government that knows NOTHING about justice, and yet their faithfulness to sharing the Gospel within the walls of Evin Prison to women who are truly hopeless. Every aspect of their story catches me in awe and I cannot recommend the book enough.
I stopped reading and I felt guilty as I took in my surroundings and reflected on the insane number of Christians suffering in that same moment. I know that there is nothing wrong with vacationing necessarily but I can't help but feel torn between the world that I am reading about and the world of luxury and relaxation. So what do I do? Do I pack up my bags and join them in their suffering while leaving my comfort? No. I need to pray.
So I prayed that someone, somewhere, who is being tortured, mocked, or starved for their faith in Jesus might close their eyes and feel the warm sun and cool breeze on their skin. That maybe for a minute God might pull them into a retreat from where they are and their suffering to feel what I was feeling. That God would bless them with a moment of peace that God's ocean brings.
Maybe that is how God wants me to react to books like "Captive in Iran" and the news of ISIS in Iraq. I can act by financially giving. Equally, or more importantly, He wants me to be burdened enough to pray for them every day.
I loved this blog post that goes right along with my prayer.
http://robertsfamilyhope.wordpress.com/2014/08/08/awake-oh-sleeper/

“For we don’t want you to be unaware, brothers, of our affliction that took place in Asia: we were completely overwhelmed—beyond our strength—so that we even despaired of life.  Indeed, we personally had a death sentence within ourselves, so that we would not trust in ourselves but in God who raises the dead.  He has delivered us from such a terrible death, and He will deliver us. We have put our hope in Him that He will deliver us again while you join in helping us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gift that came to us through the prayers of many.”  2 Corinthians 1:8-11

No comments:

Post a Comment